Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It never rains in Southern California…unless you are running 13 miles. Part 1

The annual rainfall in Los Angeles is typically 15 inches (which usually arrives during the 35 wet days we have a year) and 80% of our days are cloud free. Ideal temperatures and conditions for most outdoor activates…except this past Saturday – I knew trouble was brewing when weather.com said there was 100% chance of rain…this is LA, we never have 100% chance of rain! So, I resigned myself to the fact that I would be running in the rain…besides last years LA marathon was run in the rain, so this would be good “just in-case” training.

I searched the archives in my brain for the rainy day prep I was taught in the Army and married it with the new “I don’t wanna get wet” attitude I had developed in the years since my time in the trenches. So, the plan was simple…I would try to stay as dry as possible for as long as possible, but pick clothes that would not weigh a ton once they did get wet…but I came across the question most fashionistas ask themselves everyday…which shoes should I wear?? My dilemma was more practical than fashion – do I wear the old shoes (250+ miles on them) and risk ruining them, but I was seriously considering those for the marathon…or do I wear the newer ones (less than 100 miles on them) and risk ruining or severally shortening their life? My wife offered no practical advise (sorry dear – “it’s up to you” doesn’t help!) so I did the only think I could think of…eanie meanie minie moe!! Old shoes it is!!

1 comment:

  1. The only Eenie Meenie is used all the time in my house to decide things.

    I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete